Sunday, July 12, 2015

Gender Identity

I volunteer as a Nursery teacher at a Church and while I am watching the toddlers and older children,  I also observ them in terms of their behavior and how they interact with eachother.

We almost have a mix of boys and girls and I say almost because it varies from Sunday to Sunday .

I can definetly say though that we have more girls than boys !

Regarding my observation , I think a lot about the parents I read about on Social media and The parents I listen to when I have the opportunity to watch a documentary on how parents raise their children.

The said parents take the gender of their child as an obvious because their perception is ; My child is to young to understand his or gender or my child does not understand that he or she is a girl /Boy .

From my observation in The nursery though I can assure you that these children know fairly well their gender ! I am not saying though that all children are like that , But MOST are .

The little boys do NOT WANT to play with girls ( Like all little boys in toddler and older age ) .

The other adults find it cute when the boys start a tantrum , But how else are boys supposed to say " I am a boy ! I do not play with girls ! "

On one hand I smile when I see it because it makes sense , But on the other hand I have to shake my head because everybody should know that it is not a good idea to force boys to play with girls unless they want to .

Thankfully we have a male teacher with us as well and so the boys are a tiny bit more approachable , But they wi barely listen to women like me and another female teaher with whom I share the responsibility ;) !

Thank you for reading

Dusya

No comments:

Post a Comment